Headquarters Armies of the Confederate States

March 29, 1865. (Received 11.15 p. m.)

 

The enemy crossed Hatcher’s Run this morning at Monk’s Neck Bridge with a large force of cavalry, infantry, and artillery, and tonight his left extended to Dinwiddie Court-House. Gregg’s cavalry advanced a mile and a half on Ford’s road toward the South Side Railroad. General Anderson moved out from his position and struck his column near the intersection of the Quaker road and Boydton plank road, but did not succeed in driving him back.

R E Lee

Hon. Secretary of War,

Richmond

(Copy sent to the President.)

 

 

Source: The War of the Rebellion, Series 1, Vol. 46, Part 1, p. 1263

Transcribed by Colin Woodward, 2021 October 18